the relapse prevention program
Addiction is one of the most dangerous diseases that may affect people of different ages and social classes, and it does not end with the elimination of drug toxins in the body and the treatment of withdrawal symptoms. After the patient’s treatment program ends, the drug addict thinks that he has fully recovered and that he is able to face all circumstances, obstacles, desires, and bad friends. But the truth is that the addicted patient is still vulnerable to relapse, and it is much more dangerous than recovering from addiction the first time because he returns fiercely to those toxins.
Therefore, we had to find effective methods and treatment programs to treat drug addiction and then prevent addiction relapse and return to it again. Hence the creation of the relapse prevention program after the addiction treatment, which helps patients who concluded the program, and those recovering, to prevent relapsing into behavioral patterns that may lead them to use again.
What is the relapse prevention program?
The relapse prevention program at the Dar El-Taafy Center is considered one of the most effective treatment programs in the stage of resisting the occurrence of addiction relapse after recovery, as doctors and addiction treatment experts at Dar E-Taafy developed this treatment program to deal with those people who did not succeed in their treatment journey remained under the dark umbrella of addiction, through continuous follow-up of the patient after the completion of recovery to avoid any relapses.
In this program, the recovering patient is monitored continuously and made aware of the early signs of relapses, and how to confront them, the most remarkable signs are:
- Depression, frustration, despair, extreme anger, tension, and boredom.
- Personal and psychological disturbances as a result of arguments with a family member or co-worker.
- Friends pressuring and urging the recovering person to return to drug use.
In this program, modern methods of psychology are used, they aim to improve the mental health of the individual and strengthen his personality, which helps the recovering person to acquire many personal and social skills that change his life for the better.
The advantages of the relapse prevention program
- Good knowledge of the negative thoughts, which eventually lead to relapse.
- Identifying the psychological problems that an addict may fall into, and how to overcome them.
- Gaining a set of important skills such as how to make the right decision, how to set boundaries, how to deal with others, and assertiveness.
- Learning how to deal with life’s many stresses and problems, and high-risk situations.
- Learning time management.
Methods used in the relapse prevention program after addiction treatment
- Helping the addict during the recovery stage to make a list with a broad red line that includes situations, places, and people whose approach is a dangerous sign to the possibility of being tempted to return to addiction again.
- Ensuring that the patient has regular relaxation times daily during the recovery period is a key factor in preventing relapses.
- Providing continuous psychological and family support (during and after the conclusion of his addiction treatment).
- Adopting a healthy lifestyle that includes a healthy nutrition plan and a daily exercise program that helps the patient overcome the risk of addiction and relapse significantly.
- Forming a supportive relationships network. The presence of a group of close people to support the patient during his recovery represents a great strength in the prevention of relapses, and this group is often represented by some family members and some close friends who are not addicted.
- Awareness of the importance of spiritual aspects, as positive spiritual practices such as prayer and supplication are positive factors in protecting against relapse; This is due to the patient’s feeling of self-satisfaction that derives from the Creator’s satisfaction with him, which enables him to resist relapse.
Which cases of addiction are suitable for a relapse prevention program?
The relapse prevention program after addiction treatment is suitable for all drug addiction cases, especially addiction cases that have not been successful in different treatment programs. The relapse prevention program is also suitable for all addictive behaviors, whether drugs or alcohol and can also be applied at the individual level or in groups.