the family support program for addiction treatment
Addiction is one of the most dangerous diseases that affect people of different ages and social classes. Given the importance of family and familial relationships in the addiction recovery process, the family is certainly a big part of the solution. Therefore, the family support program is considered one of the most effective programs in addiction treatment, as it works to involve family members in the treatment plan of the addict and help educate them on how to deal with him.
What is the family support program for addiction treatment?
The Family Support or Family Rehabilitation Program at Dar El-Taafy Center is considered one of the most effective drug addiction treatment programs in the Middle East. Where doctors and addiction treatment experts at Dar El-Taafy Center have developed this treatment program to help both addicts and their families confront and overcome the addiction disease, and even eliminate the leading causes that led to addiction at the core.
The family support program aims to strengthen the bonds between family members and urge them to change negative behaviors and replace them with positive ones, in addition to providing support and encouragement to the addict during the treatment phase and providing them with psychological treatment sessions that examine the family aspects that played a role in driving one of its members to fall into addiction and work on solving them and avoid them in the future. It also aims to settle disputes and fix relationships between family members and enhance communication and work on bringing back the lost language of dialogue, which is one of the causes for people to turn to drugs.
In this program, we do not only deal with the addict, but we know the crucial need for the family to be informed about the addiction disease and other diseases that accompany it, and how to act regarding everything related to the life of the addict.
The therapeutic steps in the family support program
- Conducting a thorough medical examination, accurate evaluation of the patient, and developing a treatment plan based on his needs, health status, and the effect of the drug on him.
- Treating the psychological and physical symptoms of addiction, starting with the detox stage, relieving withdrawal symptoms, and repairing damages that occur to the brain and body functions.
- Sessions for family members with specialists to educate them about the nature of addiction and understand its impact on the addict, and on their relationship as a family.
- Urging family members to use the family bond to encourage and influence the addict to continue treatment using persuasion and wisdom, and advising them to not use coercion and violence.
- Changing the behaviors of family members and focusing on learning new skills that encourage the acquisition of positive behaviors that improve the family relationship, such as learning how to communicate, imposing boundaries, and expressing feelings clearly.
- After the treatment completion in Dar El-Taafy, we keep an open line of communication with family members to ensure that the recovering person does not suffer from a relapse and does not return to his previous negative behaviors that led to the addiction.
- The family is made aware of the necessity of preventing all means that help the addict with his drug addiction, such as getting rid of drugs if they are found in the house, or preventing him from contacting friends and companions who encourage him to use drugs, or who provide him with narcotic substances or the like.
Features of the Family Support Program
- The addict feels that he has someone who cares about him, follows up on his condition regularly, and gives a helping hand that leads him to a drug-free life, and helps the addict become stronger.
- Giving detailed information about what has been achieved with the addict’s condition and the extent of his response to treatment, and making sure that the center in which he is being treated is trustworthy.
- Gaining information about drug addiction and its impact on the addict and those around him.
- Enabling family members to express their feelings and fears and to ask questions and inquire about the health status of the addict.
- Knowing the role that the family has to play in supporting the patient after he leaves Dar El-Taafy center and returns home.
- Conducting meetings and psychological treatment sessions for family members affected by addiction as a result of abandonment in the event of the father’s addiction or exposure to physical and psychological abuse as a result of violent episodes.
- Improving communication and interaction skills between family members.
- Identifying and treating chronic mental illnesses prevalent within the family such as depression, stress, and anxiety can lead to relapse.
Which causes of addiction are suitable for the family support program?
The family support program is suitable for all families who have one or more of its members who have been affected by addiction, which causes great harm to the addict and harms his family with the behaviors resulting from his addiction.
Therefore, upon discovering the presence of an addicted person in the family, it is necessary to immediately communicate with Dar El-Taafy center and explain the patient’s condition and the suffering of his family members, whether they are children, brothers, or even parents. Then agree on a way to persuade the addict to join Dar El-Taafy center and receive treatment.